13 July 2007

Eating Out

Thanks to Katherine Nachod for the great restaurant guide in our registration bags. (And thanks to the team that stuffed the bags ... and to BNA for giving us such versatile bags!)

This evening Mary Hotchkiss and I tried out one of Katherine's recommendations, the Sun Ray Grill, described in the guide as a "delightful place" with an eclectic menu. We chose it because the range of cuisine sounded great -- and it was an easy walk from our hotel and moderately priced.

As Katherine suggested, we had the tableside guacamole, made by our waiter before our eyes. Fresh? You bet! Yummy, too! We also shared a portabella quesadilla -- also very good. The portions were generous and, with (non-alcoholic) drinks, the whole dinner was under 25 bucks.

Mary went to lunch with other bag stuffers at the Ugly Dog Cafe, also in the Warehouse District (on Tchoupitoulas). Huge portions, very reasonably priced. So add that to your list.

Having a bit of a coffee habit (even decaf), I was happy to go to the Starbucks across from the Convention Center early this morning before going to the Habitat work site. I was only disappointed at the end of the day that I couldn't get an iced drink there because it closed. I'm not used to Starbucks closing at 2:30 in the afternoon. I guess it's all a question of traffic. There's just not enough tourist business to justify staying open for whenever I yearn for a coffee drink. I hope our meeting is just another step in the recovery for New Orleans eateries (and drinkeries).

No comments: